Why I love goats and PEI


I just got back from a wonderful weekend in PEI, and now that I have warmed up from the cold wind, I am ready to talk about it!

There are many reasons to love PEI, and my main one involves a red head, but other than that, the pace of life, quaint fishing villages, miles and miles of sandy beaches, beautiful scenary, and rich heritage also make my list. I had a lot of new experiences this weekend, and learned a lot about how the rich agriculture and aquaculture industries drive tourism in Canada's smallest province.

When you think of Prince Edward Island, what do you think of? Potatoes? Red mud? Anne of Green Gables? For me, I think of those things, but also of fishing and farming. I think of the delicious lobster that is fresh and in season right now, and the strawberries - which I have mentioned before - that will becoming soon as well. Beautiful fields, and massive expanses of water are the focal points of PEI, and should be valued and cherished, as much for the visitors, as they are for the men and women whose livlihood depends on them.

We stayed in a beautiful Bed and Breakfast on the weekend - the Barachois Inn - in Rustico. (By the way, it comes highly recommended!) We had a wonderful chat with the innkeeper, about the state of tourism in PEI, and how sustaining the link between agriculture, fishing and tourism are so important. It's so nice to go out to a restaurant on the Island, and have potatoes from a local grower's field, lobster from Bay Fortune, and carrots from a garden in Stanley Bridge. It's nice to be able to walk in the beautiful PEI National Park, or along the Dunes at Stanhope Beach, and know that nature is in tact, and the environment is staying pure.

While on the topic of tourism, I am a huge fan of the staycation; basically staying close to home, and enjoying the attactions and amenities that the local region has to offer. I like travelling out of the country as much as the next guy, but I also love experiencing what the maritimes has to offer, and you don't even have to go that far! We drove through most of the northern part of PEI this weekend, and I saw places and things that I didn't even know existed! And that fact makes me excited for my next adventure on the Isalnd, or home in New Brunswick, or in Nova Scotia. And that's also travelling sustainably - not taking long flights, and supporting local economies. There are also so many neat local artists, chefs, and attractions to visit - all at our finger tips!



We visited a couple neat places on our journey. One being the Dunes at Brackley Beach. I will let you check out their website. Look at the pictures - they speak for themselves. I met the primary potter - Peter Jansons - and bought one of his beautiful pottery mugs. The colours remind me of the white beaches, and the sea water....very soothing.

Probably the coolest place we stumbled upon was the Great Canadian Soap Company. Nestled along the north shore, at Brackley Beach, the small farm was a real treat to visit. The goats scampered over from the barn to meet us, and we soon learned, they are an integral part of the soap operations.

We went inside, and the smell of natural oil essences was welcoming. The shop keeper - and soap maker extraordinaire - showed us a video of the operations, and we were told once again, most of what we new about harmful chemicals, and detergants that lace our soap and cosmetic products. All of Great Canadian Soap Cos. products start with a base of goat's milk, which of course, come from the goats that we met upon our arrival. They are milked twice a day. All the soap - which have very few, and all pure ingredients - are made on site. We were in heaven! I ended up with some great body butter for mom and I, and Dennis came away with some great soap. We were stoked to have found yet another wonderful all-natural option for body products, and local at that!

So all in all, a great weekend. Lots of great sights and sounds, good food, and even better company! My adventures in PEI are certainly far from over, and I look forward to what exciting opportunies lie ahead!

If you want information about a great local vacation this summer, check out the tourism websites for the Atlantic Region - Tourism New Brunswick; Tourism Prince Edward Island; Nova Scotia

posted under |

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ♥ your blog!
This post made me miss PEI soooo much. I can't wait to get back to visit.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments