The Quest for Purity: The cosmetic conundrum

After I got home from disposing of all of those chemical-ridden cosmetics, I began to seek new, more natural and healthy products. Let me tell you, this is far more difficult than just going to the store and buying something off of the shelf, or calling up your beauty consultant to order what you always have.

I painstakingly began to read every label, seeking out the the parabens, phthalates, SLS, and fragrance that is contained in almost everything I picked up. I checked the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database frequently, to find options that were carried in local retailers, that offered me the range of products to serve my needs. One of the negative things living in a smaller city is that we don't have access to a lot of the better known, organic and all natural products.

It wasn't until my mom - who along with my sister joined me in this life change - told me about a very local brand, that would meet all of the needs that I was looking for, wouldn't break the bank, and whose products fell into the 0-2 (of 10) category of Skin Deep. The magic solution you might ask: OLIVIER SOAPERY.

Made in Ste-Anne-de-Kent, New Brunswick, the soapery prides itself on using all-natural, pure ingredients - pure enough to eat! Mind you, I haven't tried that yet! The main ingredient is olive oil (Olivier actually means olive tree in french), and they use natural essenses, cacao butter, and other whole ingredients to make sensitive, safe and all-natural cosmetic solutions. (http://www.oliviersoaps.com/)

I went with the Vitamin E & Carrot Soap (use only at night), and Derma Creme. The Day Cream is also great!

I have ordered the Conditioner to try too, infused with pear essence! I am very excited to try it! The bar soaps are amazing and are so sensitive on the skin. It is so relieving to and great products - and local to boot!

As for makeup, that was a little tougher. Local retailer Made You Blush carries a great line of vegan, paraben-free makeup called Sweet Leilani http://www.sweetleilani.com/ which is also made in Canada! I am also trying Stript mineral blush which I love (http://www.striptmakeup.com/). Both don't cost much more than the products that I was using before, but are much safer. 



I am still looking for good hair products, and since I got a little too much sun today, a quality sunscreen with decent SPF, that falls into the Skin Deep low ranking.

And, as I continue to read Slow Death by Rubber Duck, I anticipate even more changes. But, for now, I can rest easy that I am treating my body as it should be treated.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments