If we are what we eat, we are in trouble!

We have all heard the old saying "You are what you eat"! In this case, I hope it's not true.

If, like me, you try your best to eat healthy, including non-processed foods, organic produce, and local items, I am sure you pay attention to what's in your food. But, did you know that most produce - local or otherwise - contain some form of pesticide. Purchasing organic is one way to beat this, but the EWG has a great tool to make this even easier.

Proudly supported by Dr. Andrew Weil - well known as a one time health and wellness guru on Oprah - the Environmental Working Group has coming out with their 2010 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides. You can see the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15, and what items are best to be purchase organic.

Here in Fredericton, we are blessed to have a great weekly farmer's market! I so enjoy going and talking with the vendors, and purchasing some great produce, meats, and cheeses that are local. And, this is certainly sustainable - both environmentally and for the local econmy.

I am also looking foward to the summer, when I can visit my boyfriend's family on PEI, and feast on the best strawberries I have every had...grown right there in the field. They also have a great garden where they grow their own vegetables, and a plentiful greenhouse, all designed to eat off their land, which is the healthiest and more sustainable choice. I admire them for doing this, and cetainly appreciate when I can partake in the "fruits" of their labour of love.

And as we come into the summer season, local produce will be more readily available in this region. I urge you to try it out! I guarantee your health, and the environment, will thank you!

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments