Down on Inishkeen Farm

In Irish, Inishkeen comes from the word 'inniskeen', meaning peaceful island. I couldn't agree with that definition more!

I just got back from another great weekend on Prince Edward Island, and my boyfriend's family farm - McNally's Inishkeen Farm. What a beautiful place to spend time, and I always leave feeling more rejuvanated that when I arrived.

The weather is getting nicer and the trees and flowers are in bloom! The strawberries are already in the ground, and they should be ripe for the picking come July, and then it's on to raspberries! What a yummy place to be! And it's also planting time for the vegetable gardens!  They plant a wide variety of veggies to use themsleves, which has to be the best way to eat!

For the first time, I tried my hand at planting a garden. I must say, that growing up in a city, I haven't had a lot of experience in farming. But there I was, on Friday, pushing a tiller through the red dirt, and transplanting greenhouse cucumbers, and planting seeds for beans and cucumbers. These accompanied the potatoes and pumpkins already planted.

In the other, smaller garden, you will find many more veggies -everything from asparagus, to beans, peppers, potatoes, peas, corn, cukes - and that doesnt include greenhouse tomoatoes and spinach!

I am so exctied to test the produce of my labour when it's all ready! It is such a great feeling to cultivate the earth and grow the food that will end up gracing your dinner plate. It has to be one of the best , most economical and environmental friendly ways to eat, and I find you enjoy food more knowing that you helped grow it!

I learned a lot this weekend about farming, planting and what it takes to grow, and sell produce, and cultivate your own. I certainly appreciate it far more than I ever have before!

posted under |

1 comments:

Tim said...

Time to get a plot at the Fredericton Community Garden!

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments