By the Sea

One of my most favorite places in the world is St. Andrews-by-the-Sea. I was fortunate enough to have spent my childhood summers there; and now, I appreciate my weekends there even more as an adult!

My grandfather was born there, and it has always been a part of my family, and hopefully it always will be! I cannot pinpoint why it is I feel so much better when I am there - more rested and relaxed - but it undoubtedly has to do with the fresh, salt air, crisp summer nights, and laid back way of life.

I have been thinking a lot lately about the sustainability of this small town. And it's the same story with so many small, coastal towns. Can tourism still create a vibrant economy that is needed for the community to thrive? Will the aquaculture industry adapt to climate change enough to still be an economic driver in the region? And on the social side, are communities of this size able to maintain services enough to support its residents, and keep them from moving to big cities?

Perhaps what frightens me the most though, is the environmental impacts that climate change will inevitably have on beautiful St. Andrews. We all know that the water is warming, there are fewer fish species surviving, and the water levels are rising. They have already had to move the original lighthouse back from the shore, and build a new support for it, because of erosion. And the signs of this are everywhere. New rock walls being built by homeowners, and more support structures being put in place. It scares me to think of what might happen to the gorgeous waterfront homes in the next 50 or so years.

Visting St. Andrews and revelling in it's beauty really makes me think about how we are treating our planet, and the significant effects it is causing. I feel so lucky to have a place like that to go, and I hate taking it for granted. I hope that other people are having the same experience that I am having - whether in St. Andrews, Peggy's Cove, Bar Harbor or any other coastal town like them.

Please, breath in the air, feel the cool salt water on your toes, and think about our earth. Sustainability. And what it means for future generations being able to enjoy these places like we are able to now.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments